Re: Re; Instruments and accessories, etc.

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999 at 20:38:09 +0100, David  Williams wrote:
> Thanks to Alistair,Kirsty,Kenneth and Ian for their comments on the Silent
> Brass kit; must put it on my Christmas present list, as it will save closing
> all the windows and waiting for neighbours to go out.   But no-one has yet
> voiced an opinion on my ramblings on whether instruments will be improved
> in the next century with a better piston valve being invented.  Is anyone
> old enough to remember the old fashioned typewriters with their heavy keys
> which used to stick and the deafening noise in office typing pools ?
> Compare them to our p.c. boards which just need a touch now.

It would certainly be possible to make an electrically operated valve,
controlled by a solenoid. It certainly wouldn't be quieter, it would
probably fail more often, would be heavier and require a power
supply.  Batteries wouldn't last long - the energy requirements are too
great.

The design of some things changes radically, but once a 'good' solution
is reached, they stabilise. After all, the overall shape of a brass
instrument has remained the same, 'correct', shape for over 2000 years.
(Bronze-age Lurs have been found, in matching pairs, perfectly in tune
with each other.)

I've used piston valves and rotaries, on a ("French") horn, and find a
good set of pistons responsive and easier if anything than the rotaries,
size for size. I have very little problem with sticking valves. Just
some oil when I remember, and clean the scale off the bottom edge of the
piston.

I don't know if you remember the 'logical bassoon'. If you think you
have fingering problems, consider the bassoon. Lots of keys, and all
sorts of wierd combinations required to get some of the notes into tune
(there are, I think, 8 or 9 keys in a group all played with the left
thumb). Anyhow, the logical bassoon was played with a regular fingering,
and controlled the real keywork via relays etc. It never caught on.

Ian