List Chat

I would like to wish all competitors and conductors the very best of
good fortune for the National Finals; we at GUS are eagerly awaiting
next year's area contest at Burton On Trent so that we may hopefully
take part in the Final's of 2000!

I remember the thrill of walking out onto the Royal Albert Hall stage
for the first time as a schoolboy in 1966 as second horn with the now
disbanded City Of Coventry Band, (eventually to be won by GUS playing
Roman Carnival), and can't wait to have another go at it.  The last time
I played there was as first trombone with Desford on Carnival Overture
by Dvorak, won by Brighouse - no doubt listees will tell me what year
that was!

Talk of the Nationals brings back many memories particularly of the Gala
Concert.  I vividly remember that great trombone player John Pollard
from Grimethorpe playing Bolivar - where is he now - does he still
play?  Can any Grimey members recall if he ever recorded that particular
solo and if it is still available?  I've just been practicing it now and
it never fails to take my mind back to the RAH all those years ago.  So
great was the applause for him that as he left the stage the crowd were
still cheering so he turned round just before disappearing through the
door and blew a loud raspberry through his trombone.  Great fun, but I
heard later that he got a rollocking for it, seems to be a man after my
own heart!  Some time after, Grimey came to my home town of Bedworth for
a concert and John again played a solo, Loves Enchantment I think, but
for his encore he put the trom. down and sang Macushla - superbly.

I'm actually off to London on Friday - Steven Mead is playing one of my
arrangements, (Carioca - Vincent Youmans), so I'm going to have a
listen, St. John's Smith Square, 7.45pm.  If I stop the night I might
try and 'aquire' a ticket and take in a few bands in the contest - and
indulge in a spot of nostalgia as my friend John Davis espouses.  Once
again, particularly to list members who are playing, the very best of
luck.

Colin Randle.