Re: Re; Instruments and accessories, etc.

----- Original Message ----- no-one has yet
> > voiced an opinion on my ramblings on whether instruments will be
improved
> > in the next century with a better piston valve being invented

> It would certainly be possible to make an electrically operated valve,
> controlled by a solenoid. It certainly wouldn't be quieter, it would
> probably fail more often, would be heavier and require a power
> supply.

> The design of some things changes radically, but once a 'good' solution
> is reached, they stabilise. After all, the overall shape of a brass
> instrument has remained the same,*** 'correct'***, shape for over 2000
years.

Why do we need to change anything to do with brass instruments mechanics?

so long as they play intune and with a decent souind I can't see the
problem......we all play now (I assume ) because we enjoy doing it the way
we do it now (if you get my meaning)

example, ; would a golfer still enjoy playing golf if a machine became
available that electronically stopped him from hitting golf balls anywhere
else but on the fairway??????

most of the instruments I've played have had flaws such as sticky valves etc
(most of them becoming worse after a few weeks in my possesion)......IMO
thats part of the fun!

Mark Tarry
Web Guardian of -
The Nottingham City Transport Band - http://welcome.to/NCTBand