RE: Brass Band Description

The unique definitions in Brass Band refer to the
instruments that are unique  to the brass band.

Repiano Cornet
may appear in some wind band music but it really is only
common in brass band. A good place to put someone
who is not quite up to solo cornet but not yet on the long
slide to 2nd Baritone.

2nd Baritone
Rather unique to brass band but maybe not exactly a musical term {although
there has been some discussion
lately on that). I myself like the lighter tone of the baritone and think
that the instrument could be more imaginatively scored. I am working on some
Prokofiev and
Wagner transcriptions and plan to use the Baritone much more soloistically
for solo cello lines
and muted in place of the cor anglais.
Perhaps the seating arrangement should be changed so that the baritones sit
to the front and the heavier toned Euphonium be back next to the EEb bass.
If you think of the Baritone and Euphonium pairs as if they were Wagner
tubas
you can see how the baritones should be scored. If you really think about it
Wagner goofed with the Wagner tubas played by French Horn Mouthpieces.
Imagine a Euphonium with a French horn mouthpiece and you'll get the
picture.
Since it is so hard for many orchestras to find Wagner Tubas anyway
they should be replaced by Baritones and Euphoniums.
Perhaps this could done in some newer scores.

Tenor horn
this is really totally a unique sound to brass band. In many ways it is
richer and purer toned
than the French horn. Is there a nicer warmer sound than tenor and baritone
horn combinations?

Soprano Cornet

Of course the most unique aspect of brass bands is the soprano cornet.
Usually placed in
the hands of the most expert and "unique players" it gives the brass band
it's
characteristic brilliant sound. Affectionately known as the "Sop" and
revered
by the band community throughout the world, this instrument provides brass
bands with an artistic
raison d'tre. It is frequently misconstrued that the bass trombone would
have this position
 of eminence in the band but this opinion is not generally shared except by
other bass trombonists.
On the odd occasion when I have had to miss a rehearsal the sound of
disappointment in the
music directors voice as I report my potential absence is heartbreaking. As
a soprano player
myself I have been diligent to keep these absences to a minimum to avoid
moral problems
and keep up the band spirit.

Graham Young
(905)5758440
Weston Silver Band, Soprano Cornet
gyoung@xxxxxxxx
Celebration Brass - Symphony Hamilton - McMaster Chamber Orchestra