RAH 1999 Nationals

I was fortunate to be able to attend and what a great day.

Congratulations to Fodens.  I was pleased that I got two of the top
three placings correct.  But what a job for the adjudicators!  It's
quite easy to pick a band that definitely will not win as soon as you
notice a split or lost note.  The poor sop players in Concerto No. 1
were particularly exposed and some bands probably lost it as a result.
Of course, I realise there are other factors also.

I guess that this has been up for discussion before, but I would be
interested in views on band formation.  There seemed to be some
experimental formations on Saturday, I guess with a view to making the
sound that reaches the box sound different to the more traditional
formation.

The most perplexing was the band that played with the Basses sitting
where you would normally find the back-row cornets, the troms where the
basses go and the cornets in a line facing the audience etc

I note that the top three bands at least used traditional formations so
whatever the changes set out to do obviously didn't work.

Any thoughts?