Scenes From The Edge.

Hi there fellow listees,

I was fortunate enough to to be in London this past weekend ostensibly
to hear Steven Mead play one of my arrangements, (Carioca - Vincent
Youmans), at St. John's Smith Square who was accompanied by The Enfield
Citadel Band conducted by Bandmaster Richard Phillips, so this gave me
the opportunity to stay overnight, (courtesy of The Queen Wuss herself,
and husband Steve), and attend The Finals on Saturday.   I say fortunate
not just because Steve was his usual brilliant self,  but because this
was the first time, I have to admit, that I have attended a concert by a
S.A. band and from start to finish they were superb.  I don't want this
to sound condescending but I have to say that the band were easily what
we regard as upper-championship standard as their quality of
musicianship proved.  Their entire program was a joy to listen to, and
they accompanied Steven in a very accomplished manner.  From their
program I shall mention only two Items, a particularly stirring
rendition of Song Of The Eternal by Leslie Condon, a deeply devout but
inspirational work, and my favorite, a piece by Wilfred Heaton called My
Treasure.  This item was not only thought provoking and intensely
moving but required the very highest skills to play as well as they
did.  Thanks Enfield, you returned me to my youth when the distinctive
brass band sound was big, but mellow and played with thought and
control, not the frantic, frenzied lazer-guided world in which we now
have to compete!

Got to the RAH box office to get the tickets and of the 20 or so people
in front of me, none of them were buying tickets to hear the contest!
Maybe this is an indication of the appeal of contesting on the general
public and the apparent lack of atmosphere I sensed in the hall.   Once
inside we heard the applause for Kirkintilloch conducted by Frank
Renton, who were followed on stage by Aveley And Newham conducted by an
old colleague from Coventry Band, Nigel Taken.  Next on were Fodens and
we all know how they fared!

Maybe the biggest upset was that YBS didn't feature in the prizes after
the great year they have had so far.  The most comfortable band looked
to be First City Brass who played in colorful open-necked shirts, and
why not.  Ray Farr had Coventry doing this years ago at concerts and it
went down a storm.  My old mate from Desford days and distinguished
cornet player Dave Giblin was playing Rep. for Rothwell Temperance, and
as they finished and were preparing to leave the stage  I called him
over and tapped him up to help GUS at a concert a Stroud next Saturday -
and he agreed to do it!!!  Maybe he had never been asked on the stage of
the RAH before - is this a first?  There is always a moment of
contention and this year it came as an audible gasp when Fairey's were
announced in 5th. place -  such is contesting.

Most amusing incident came when Carlton Main were playing, and it came
from their percussionist as he was playing the bass drum.  If I can
paraphrase P.G. Wodehouse by saying that this particular bass drummer
'didn't spare himself in an attempt to give his bass drum an almighty
injury', indeed, his backswing reminded me of Tiger Woods such was the
effort he was lamping it with, and it was this effort that nearly
brought his Waterloo.  There was a sequence of loud bass drum thumps one
after the other with maybe a crotchet or so in between.  After one
particularly vigorous swipe, the stick came out of his hand went up in
the air landed on the floor, bounced up again to be caught in mid-air
the correct way round just in time for the next almighty thump.
Relieved but disconcerted, he then had quite a few bars rest and he did
this by holding his hands in front of his face and counting out the bars
on his fingers whilst visibly mouthing the words as he went.  What was
more bizarre was that I was counting the bars rest with him so he would
get back in on time.  I know, futile, but you had to be there.

Before the results were announced we were treated to a spectacular show
of brass solo playing by Robert and David Childs, tubist Patrick
Sheridan, (who had to endure a mobile 'phone ringing during his
performance), and trombonist Nick Hudson who played Stardust, (brings
back memories that for me).

All in all a great weekend, apart from a 40 parking fine I got for
parking in an unmarked resident bay outside the RAH!!!
Take a tip, for those who travel to the RAH from afar, let the train
take the strain, at 4 an hour parking meter's are really pricey!

Colin Randle.