Coloured shirts and uniforms at contests

Sorry Kirsty McCafferty/Colin Randle.  WRONG!!!!!

I think the fact that bands do not wear 'proper' uniforms at contests, it
looks disorganised, messy and very unprofessional.  I went to the
national finals at Harrogate last year for the lower sections.  I cannot
recall the test piece, but one band walked on stage with jackets on, sat
down and then proceeded to take off their jackets and put them on the
backs of their seats!!!!!  It looked  awful!!!

I do not wish to comment on why First City do this.  I did hear  reasons
why they have done this from a former member of the band, but
cannot recall.  As I remember it was seemed plausable.  Maybe Mr
Wise could shed more light on it.  However, I do accept there are
instances where jackets/uniforms should not be used.  Ie: An
entertainment contest.  For example, playing Acid Brass.  Why not
dress bandspeople in acid clothing, baseball caps etc....That serves a
purpose, entertainment.

Personally, watching a brass band at a contest, whether it be at
Saltwell Park, Gateshead or the National Finals at the RAH looks
excellent.  It looks professional.  When the likes of Fodens, in bright
red, Brighouse in their familiar purples etc....There is a big buzz round
the hall.  Audiences recognise this.  If bands went on stage wearing
their 501s and multicoloured shirts or whatever, that atmosphere
would be lost.  It presents IMHO a disorganised, unprofessional
'oompah band' that should be playing, "Oh I do like to play beside the
seaside".  Putting on your dress uniform should give you a buzz.  It
certainly does for me.  I find personally I play better when i've got my
reds on than when I play in casuals!!!

If bands went down the road of non uniforms, it would wreck the brass
band world.  Obviously SABBA think that way too.  We want to
increase the profile of brass bands.  Although it is a 'hobby'/'amateur'
pastime, we should be thinking/acting more professionally.  Another
possible outcome could be that sponsorship may be jeopardised.  IE:
If your band is looking for a high profile sponsor.  You invite the
managing director from a company to watch the band.  They may not
have seen a brass band before.  They see a 28 people on stage
wearing jeans, different jackets, shirts etc...  Next day they see a band
all in uniform.  I am damned sure I know which band they would wish
to sponsor to promote their company.

In conclusion, I may be a little controversial, but people who know me
in person or from previous postings all I am saying is lets discuss
these issues rationally!!!!!!!

But Kirsty/Colin, don't talk rubbish about multicoloured shirts etc!!!

Love to all.

Dave McKay - Ever Ready Eb Bass Extraordinaire