RE: Brass Band Groan List.

Colin Harris wrote:

> Below is a list of pieces which we have all played at one time or another,
> but you groan at if played at a rehearsal or concert! (No offence intended
> to anyone who actually likes these pieces!)
>
> Bandology
> Black & White Minstrals No.1,2,3,4,5,6.....
> Edelweiss
> Everything I do, I do it for you (or anything else Berneartish)
> Instant Concert
> Men of Harlich
> Slaidburn
> Swinging Safari
> The Floral Dance
> The Young Amadeus

A few of the pieces you mentioned take me back to my early days of banding
in the lower sections, when they were regularly on the programmes.  What I
don't like is when you play the same piece for too long on concerts.  There
is so much good music around I don't see the need to play the same piece on
concerts for ages, then something else, then put it back on concerts again
for ages.

I also don't entirely agree with your view of Berneart style music.  Some of
it is poor and badly arranged, but many other pieces are quite effective
when played well.  They are usually popular tunes that the public will know,
and at the end of the day it is the audience we are playing for/to, not
ourselves.  As long as the audience goes away happy, thats the main thing.

Martin.
sop - B&R

ps. what's wrong with Floral Dance!!