Re: Lottery applications

Ian Phillips wrote:

> > Would anyone on the list who has been successful recently please
> > contact me?  I`m trying to find out why recent applications
> > have failed and what we could do to ensure a good chance of
> > funding. I was responsible for a failed application recently.

> You need evidence of at least 20 public performances per year, for a
> start. Take advice from your local arts board people as to what
> constitutes a "public performance". I got the impression that the jobs
> we did (and were paid for) by the local council were not counted, for
> instance, because the public didn't pay to get in - contest entries are,
> I think counted. I may be wrong there; check.

This is worrying, if true, but may just be the mindless application of
strict internal rules by one Regional Arts Board officer.

> You also need to jump through quite a few hoops along the way.
> Make sure that your rehearsal venue is accessible to disabled people
> (quite strict rules about heights of handrails, slopes of ramps and so
> forth - a problem if you have a first-floor bandroom, for instance). And
> you're asked various racial questions, too, although they say this
> doesn't play a part in the assessment.

Equal opportunities are important in lottery funding.  On issues of
access for disabled people, you may find that your local council has
an Access Officer or a Local Access Group who will give you free advice!

pete
--
Pete Denton - accessing the net with SuSE Linux since 13/07/99