Re: Pedals

On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, Steve Sykes wrote:

> To my horror BBb bass players were composing  (or should that be
> de-composing?) new bass lines to established repertoire - they very rarely
> played in the octave the composer stipulated - IMO it sounded diabolical.

> This type of 'macho' bass playing obviously displays a complete lack of
> musicality on all those concerned (BTW I don't often hear soprano players
> playing an 8ve higher than their written parts - could this be the next
> 'improvement' to our back catalogue of major works?).

True, but I do recall a certain BTM CD which you conducted and I
played BBb Bass on, in the recording of which you encouraged me to add
several lower octaves and pedals.  But then, as we are both fine
musicians, it was done tastefully and musically ;-)

> I blame the conductors.

So do I!

<veg>

cheers

pete
--
Pete Denton - accessing the net with SuSE Linux since 13/07/99