Re: Views on Nationals please

Martin Irwin wrote:

> Come on people, where are all the comments and views on last weekends
> nationals.  I'm so used to reading comments after contests about how YBS
> were robbed (yawn!) that I'm having withdrawal symptoms.  Also, what do you
> think of the test piece.

OK - here goes.   I can't really comment on YBS since I didn't know
the piece until I heard them (playing number 1) and would have really
appreciated hearing them again later in the day to make a valid
comparison...

I enjoyed Faireys and Brighouse (probably in that order) because
both found the humour in the piece and managed to maintain it
consistently, even when the going got tough in the heavier  sections.
I also got the feeling that their conductors really knew who Ravel
was and managed to capture some of his characteristic transparent
textures.   Congrats to Fodens - well shaped and balanced with the
best sounding bass section of the day for me - but possibly not
so polished and fluent as Faireys or Brighouse from where I sat.

Those bands that thought that they were playing Blitz again and
attempted to blow the piece out of the water seemed to miss much of
the humour and delicacy.

Other than those two I enjoyed Kirkintillock (sp?) who played with a
lot of style and First City who had one of the best shaped and
phrased performances of the day...a pity about the "we're from
LANDAN" brashness in the tonal quality!  But shockingly good for such
a new band.

Leyland had a mediocre day - lots of stylish moments but far too many
slips (around fig 25!) and uncharacteristic stodgy playing in the
'stabs' at the start and finish.  Great flugel playing...  Not sure
how Tredegar, Ransomes and Rothwell finished quite so high - all
were solid and generally secure but not especially stylish.

> I'm sure most players didn't rate the piece when first rehearsing it,
> including me, but by the end I  really liked it, and thought it was a good
> choice.  I've never known a piece that has given bands so many problems
> during the contest performance.  It was a real "test" piece.  Some players
> from the big name bands even admitted (over a beer afterwards!) that their
> performance nearly fell apart in more than one place.  That's how hard it
> was.

Agreed that all the bands had their dodgy moments (often in
unexpected places - the RAH accoustic having a negative effect?)  and
that there were few that were really outstanding beyond the first few
places.  But I don't think that the adjudicators will have found the
job of placing the bands a particularly easy one owing to all the
inconsistencies in performances.  Concerto No 1?  I don't think it's
ever going to get into my list of all-time favourites;  Dr B has
given us much better focused, more concise pieces since then.

> Martin.
> sop - B&R

was one of just a few (with Peter Roberts - maybe they WERE robbed!)
who stood out and made the D - E trill sound like music when others
made it sound like an affliction!

Any friends left?

David