Re: Views on Nationals please

Okay, I'll bite.

It was my first trip to the hallowed RAH since 1980, and the first time
I'd ever listened to *every* band. I never did get to like the test
piece, in spite of having studied the score over the previous few weeks
- it just didn't sit well on my ears. This has never happened before.
Even pieces like Energy, which was pretty far out in 1971, were pleasant
listening after a few bands. Not this one, though.

Anyway, I had B&R down as winners, with Faireys 2nd and Tredegar 3rd.
The rest could have been anywhere, except for the 2 or 3 that were
clearly behind the pack. I'm glad to read that others on this list felt
Fodens had really won it - must have been an aberration on my part to
have misjudged their performance. I felt Fodens' dynamic range wasn't as
wide, nor was the tone quite as sonorous, as my top choices. From my
vantage point in the boxes, much more detail emerged from the bands I
picked 1-3. No doubt this sounded different in the box where it
mattered.

I was surprised at Ransomes' placing. Too many individual slips spoiled
their performance, and I didn't hear anything that distinguished them
from the pack. (And this from an ex-Ransomes player!)

In light of my inability to digest the test piece, the highlight of the
weekend was the Canadian Brass and B&R concerts on the preceding Friday.
Well chosen programs, well played, and well presented. Great job, Mr.
Biggs.

Bill Buffam
West Chester PA