Re: Black Dyke in Canada

Prices are $40, $50 and $60 less 20% if you are a Hannaford subsciber. Doesn't
seem unreasonable for a touring band of Black Dyke's quality. Are they better or
not than Hannaford or Intrada? Only way to know for sure is to go.Unfortunately
I'll be away in sunny Florida.

I suspect even Bram Gregson would agree that Intrada is not up to the Dyke's
standard. Hannaford certainly has the technique although maybe the tubas don't
have as full an ensemble sound or as good a low volume range and Hannaford's
bones don't always play with enough intensity to make an impact. Big variation
in Hannaford depending on who is conducting but at the top volumes, Hannaford
probably has purer sounds around the stand, particularlt back bench cornets. Of
course they are all pros but on the down side Hannaford does far less rehearsal
than the Dyke and achieves very comparable results, at least with some
conductors.

Untie the knot in your pursestrings Craig and go and hear for yourself. CDs just
aren't the same as live.

Dave.