To Wear - Or What To Wear!

Hi there fellow listee's

'Tis a wonderful forum this brass band mailing list - perfect in fact
for everyone with an interest in our movement to air their views in a
considered yet sometimes boisterous - even controversial and, yes I will
say it, humorous manner.  I find it very rewarding to contribute to the
list - even more so when a particular posting provokes a reaction to
one's views.  Of course, I/we may not agree with everyone's idea's or
theories, but, if I can slightly misquote the person who said something
like	    "I disagree with every thing you have said.....but I
will defend to the death your right to say it".  This quote reminds me
of another which was used to devastating effect by a fellow listee from
America some months ago, when, in response to a particular rowdy thread
at the time, which has since escaped my memory, retorted " I'd rather
remain silent and be thought a fool, than speak up and confirm it".
(Does anyone know who really said that)?

Anyway, I note with great interest David McKay's dismay at what exactly
constitutes a 'proper' uniform, and, in typically understated manner,
what he sees as an alarming attempt to '......wreck the brass band
world'.  I'm sure First City Brass, as it is they to whom Mr. McKay
alludes, will be surprised to be thought of as being in such an
omnipotent position as to have enough influence to have any such effect
on the brass band world.

It seems Mr. McKay has a bee in his bonnet with regard to what he
considers a 'proper' uniform.  Well - what exactly is a proper uniform?
(Perhaps this can be the subject of your next poll Nigel)!  I must agree
that most bands wear a jacket that is covered in gold braid and shiny
buttons, many, particularly the shorter 'bull-fighter/lion tamer' type
jackets, are ill-fitting and present a large gap between the trousers
and the jacket which looks absurd and scruffy from behind especially
when worn by a player that has seen thinner days and whose shirt is only
held in by the belt from a straining cummer-bund.  I can't think of any
professional musical organisation that wear such a garb, yet this is the
professionalism that Mr. McKay yearns not to lose!

Mr. Mckay said, "I do not wish to comment on why First City do this.  I
did hear reasons why they have done this from a former member of the
band, but cannot recall.  As I remember it was seemed(sic) plausible.
Maybe Mr. Wise could shed more light on it".  Mr. Wise has shed more
light on it - and it is a shame you didn't delve deeper into it from
your friend the former member.  Can I direct you to The British Bandsman
of last week, issue 5060, page 27, column one, paragraph 9, from which I
venture to quote,  "The main problem for a band like First
City........is money, or the lack of it ......its economic uniforms are
simple, some might even say unorthodox.  Members wear button down collar
shirts of only four or five colours causing a stir at every contest.
Traditionalists might not like it but hey, it's almost the millennium
and they're cheap"!   Exactly.

The only person to mention wearing 'jeans, different jackets shirt's
etc.' has been you.  Neither Kirsty or myself or First City Brass have
ever advocated such a thing.  A full set of uniforms of whatever
description is a major cost for a band.  My own band are still playing
in the uniforms of our former sponsor.  By the way, have you ever
noticed how many band uniforms seem to have nearly an identical design?

Bands with lucrative sponsorship are decreasing year by year,  what
would, I wonder, be the position of Ever Ready band be if they were to
lose their sponsorship, heaven forbid.  Believe me , it's a struggle.
JJB for instance played at the RAH in white dinner jackets, (does this
fit the bill for a 'proper' band uniform),  unfortunately it hasn't
stopped their sponsor pulling out, so the question of sponsorship is not
a factor on uniforms.  I remember Brighouse many years ago at the old
Kings Hall Belle Vue Manchester at an 'Open playing in their walking out
jackets.  Unorthodox, maybe - but they were dressed uniformly and
therefore were dressed in uniform.  Recent years have seen too much
regulation and administrative red tape - heaven forbid that uniforms
should ever become regulated.

Can I finish by quoting another wonderful extract from Mr. McKay's
posting:

"In conclusion, I may be a little controversial, but people who know me
in person or from previous postings all I am saying is lets discuss
these issues rationally!!!!!!!   But Kirsty/Colin, don't talk rubbish
about multicoloured shirts etc!!!"

I'm all for rationality Dave!

Colin Randle.

P.S. - I have never met or spoken to Jeremy Wise, and heard First City
Brass for the first time at the RAH.

Judging, (no pun intended), by their commendable position of 12th. at
first attempt, I would say that whatever they were dressed in made them
more ready for the occasion  than some of their more distinguished
counterparts!