Re: Area Adjudicators

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Alan Morrison wrote:

> Wouldn`t it be good if the Area Secretaries could co-ordinate all the
> Championship Section Contests so that none clashed on the same date, and
> engaged Philip to do the lot????

Mmm..not sure whether this is a good idea. I remember at least one major
contest adjudicated by the composer (can't remember exactly where or when-
sorry), where the composer turned out to have rather idiosyncratic ideas
on how his piece (not particularly modernist, I think) should be played,
and consequently produced an odd result. Also, unless he is very strict
with himself, he will end up concentrating on the interpretation to the
exclusion of ability rather than striking a balance as most adjudicators
do.

Dave Taylor