Re: Pedals:'Where it matters

Dave has got this, somewhat.

In a message dated 10/22/99 2:35:02 AM, mavnw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Ordinary pedal notes are fingered as for the octave above. Double pedals
>aren't actually proper notes on the instrument - the air inside forms only

They are what we call "fake notes".

>half a wave, or something like that (they don't sound very nice). You can

This is the key - the half-wave tends to negate the bell flare from the
tubing the air column resonates in, which is roughly equivalent to a
half-step on an open instrument.  Thus most players I would think find
the note an octave below the fundamental to be most resonant with an
extra slide position or second valve's worth of tubing.  They can be bent
quite a bit though.  Still suprises me Dave doesn't find the double pedal
Bb to feel a little better in 2nd than first...  Feels that way on both of
my bass trombones, anyway...  (Baritone and Eupho. as well)

John Fisher