Re: Black Dyke in Canada

Since I started the thread, I feel I must respond to Dave's comments.

First of all, at no point in my message did I compare the quality of
Hannaford or Intrada to Black Dyke. Any of the top bands from the
championship section could come here and wipe the floor with ANY of the
bands here in Canada (yes Dave, including the ones I play in -- which are
neither Hannaford or Intrada). I was simply comparing the economics of the
tickets to hear two of the top bands in Canada.

You mentioned that there are some seats at $40.00. I can only imagine the
quality of those seats in a school auditorium. You would pay for a cheap
seat in a concert hall where you know the acoustics are good, but would you
do the same in a public school?

I know that overseas trips are expensive, but SA bands do it all the time (
I have travelled to England three times with self-funded brass bands) and
the tickets are still cheap enough that the little old ladies can afford to
come to the concerts. SA bands raise money by selling CD's, and giving
concerts just like everybody else. There is no 'golden' source of money for
them as you know from your days at Hamilton Temple. The Young Ambassadors
were here in Canada this summer and I heard them for free in Burlington!

You are right Dave, I could loosen the purse strings and go without it
impacting the bank account to much, but shouldn't we be using a visit by one
of the top brass bands worldwide to dramatically raise the profile of brass
band music in Canada? Instead we are making the concert quite elitist. What
about the students, pensioners etc?

You have personally done a great job in organising two day brass symposiums
at McMaster with world class brass players, concerts, and workshops that are
less than half the price of this one concert. Surely you must agree that
there are other ways to lower prices to put the bums in the seats.

Craig