Re: Pedals fingering

ANDREW CATTANACH wrote:

> All double pedal notes are fingered the same way as the octave above ie.
> f-4+1 g-4 etc.  You can achieve notes that sound ok using these fingerings,
> but in practice thay can be way out of tune.

Hi, Andrew

You can basically use the 4th valve as an "octave key" on the pedals, but only
on a compensating tuba, as this does <most of> the work for you. Try doing this
on a non-comp. horn, and you're in all sorts of trouble. Old listees, forgive
me, as we went down this thread a little over a year ago, but there are loads of
new listees since that time.
Basically, anything from F down should be fingered a semitone lower on adding
the 4th valve, for example:
F -   1+2+4
E -   2+3+4
Eb - 1+3+4
D -  1+2+3+4
Db - 1+3+4+5    this is the case on my horn anyway (5th is a flat whole tone,
some tubas have 5th valves are a tone and a half)
C - Open, as normal
not to mention the various slide adjustments required, depending on your tuba.

Cheers,
Adrian