Re: Who are we kidding? (was Brass Band Groan List)

Richard Luckhurst wrote:

> My final comment is this. Are we out to prove what clever little
> players we are, because we can play a difficult technical piece,
> or are we here to survive into the next Millennium?

We don't necessarily have to blind our audience with our technical prowess, but
on the other hand, we don't have to play badly arranged pieces of lousy music
either.
The groan list was (I think) intended as bit of fun to highlight the large
number of works of banal smeg that have littered the repertoire for decades.
You can still entertain your audience, but do it with good quality arrangements
of worthwhile material. IMVHO "Instant Concert" has never fallen into this
category.

Cheers,
Adrian