Re: Dopings

-----Original Message-----
From: Lionel Walter <walteredy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 23 October 1999 23:19
Subject: Dopings

Hello all !
In the latest number of Brass Bulletin, there was a poll about the dopings
in Music (you can vote at www.brass-bulletin.ch). It's about medicines
against the stage-fright (i don't know if it is the right word), for example
Trasicor, Inderal... In Switzerland an increasing number of people use
thoses medicines. I would like to know if it is the same in the other
countries ? And I would like to know what the members of this list think of
it.

I have played in bands in the past where, to my certain knowledge, some
players have taken beta-blockers before stepping onto a contest stage to
steady their nerves.

Sportsmen and sportswomen who are caught taking drugs to improve their
performance are punished, usually by a ban.  Brass band contests are
themselves, by definition, a sport,  so it seems logical that the same
system of justice should apply.

Given the large number of bandsmen and bandswomen who attach great
importance to contests, I am frankly surprised that this issue has not, to
my knowledge, been raised before.

Alec