There but for the sake of God

les.palmer@xxxxxx wrote:

> To Colin and everyone else on the list,
>
> Whilst my colleague Dave McKay has his own views about most matters, and not
> wishing to get involved in his discussions about uniforms, for the sake of
> correctness I must point out that the Ever Ready Company ceased sponsoring
> our Band in September 1992. Since that time we have been entirely
> self-supporting which has involved members paying for accommodation when an
> overnight stay is necessary (6 National Finals, 5 Masters, 5 Grand Shields
> and 1 Pontins to be exact). Whilst we have never won a major National title,
> the band is still the top band in the North East , and I feel that this is
> down to the dedication and commitment of the players, and is something we
> are very proud of.
> We did consider reverting back to our former name (Craghead Colliery), but
> felt that as we are well known as Ever Ready Band we would stick with it and
> attempt to find a new sponsor. You did not give a view on our appearance on
> Saturday, but if you did witness our performance I would be interested to
> hear what you thought of our uniforms which are over 25 years old now.
> I will leave Mr McKay to pen a suitable reply, if he feels the need, and
> look forward to reading more on this lively debate.
>
> Les Palmer
> Soprano Cornet & Band Manager
> Ever Ready Band

Dear Les,

I am truly grateful to you for your carefully considered and courteous response
to this thread of band uniforms, something that only 'kicked off' as a result of
an observation I made at the RAH, and can I say that I am only too sorry that
the hypothetical scenario that I mentioned in my previous posting came true for
you in 1992.

It seems there are remarkable similarities between the fortunes of both our
bands.  For 66 years GUS had the protection and security of only ever having had
three sponsors.  First from Munn And Felton, then G.U.S. (Footwear) and then
Rigid Containers Group.  There is no doubt that full sponsorship makes life very
cushy indeed.  However, as you and I know now only too well - when the sponsor
pulls the plug, the expenses cease, the mercenaries desert, morale drops, you
have no bandroom and you are left with only the true loyal hardcore of players
that have the band's interest's at heart.  Your band and mine can take heart
from the fact that we have both survived and will continue to do so with great
distinction.  (At least you were allowed to keep your name,  we, like you wanted
to return to the name that had brought the band its fame, but after consultation
with Great Universal Stores, their Directors decreed that we could only use the
letters GUS - no full stops as it used to be, G.U.S.).

I'm afraid I didn't hear your performance at the RAH,  (it may be heresy but by
then I'd heard enough of Concerto No. 1), so therefore I didn't see your
uniforms, but rest assured I would never - ever - cast any dispersions in so
public a manner against your or any bands chosen 'uniform'.  As Ever Ready Band
Manager you will know how costly it is to buy a full set of uniforms for  a
band, and I applaud any band that even makes it to the RAH. whatever they may
wear so long as they do not bring the banding movement into disrepute.

Yours with sincere respect,

Colin Randle - GUS Band -   http://www.BrassBand.cwc.net

P.S. - Maybe in the late sixties or early seventies a chap named Jim McNestry
moved to our area to work at Coventry Colliery.  He was from Ever Ready Band and
he joined City Of Coventry Band on Eb Bass.  Is he still around?  Jim was a
great chap and a good player too.  Malcolm Teasdale who was from the North East
and Coventry's euphonium player used to give Jim and me a lift to band.