Re: Pedals:'Where it matters

On Sat, 23 Oct 1999, Dave Taylor wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, Pete Denton wrote:
> > On tubas there is also the strange phenomenon of "false pedals".  For
> > example, it is possible to play low F (three ledger lines) on Open, E
> > on 2nd valve etc. (finguring seems to work best for a major 9th above
> > therequired pitch) - but sound quality is porr and actually getting the
> > notes is reliant on have your embouchure very precisely set (plus using
> > lots of air!).

> But these are only the 1st harmonics bent up as far as they will go,
> aren't they? There's a similar sort of thing on other instruments -
> Euphoniums produce a fair low E, but don't like bending up to the F.
> Trombones (well, mine anyway) don't like bending up at all from the
> fundamental tone, but will bend the 2nd harmonic down a fourth (i.e. C to
> G or equivalent).

It's a long time since I studied physics, but I'd be inclined to
disagree with you there.  The 'false' pedals are much stronger and of
totally different physical and aural characteristics than a slightly
bent fundamental (1st harmonic).  I am sure it has to be something to
do with 'hearing' a pitch because of the commonality of the harmonics
of that pitch and the harmonics being excited which are native to the
length of tube being used.  If it was simply a matter of bending a
fundamental, why does it suddenly become stronger and more sustainable
at a pitch near enough half way between fundamental (1st harmonic) and
1st overtone (2nd harmonic)?

pete
--
Pete Denton - accessing the net with SuSE Linux since 13/07/99