Re: Who are we kidding? (was Brass Band Groan List)

Hi Adrian

> We don't necessarily have to blind our audience with our technical prowess, but
> on the other hand, we don't have to play badly arranged pieces of lousy music
> either.

Who makes the decision on what is "lousy" music?

> The groan list was (I think) intended as bit of fun to highlight the large
> number of works of banal smeg that have littered the repertoire for decades.
> You can still entertain your audience, but do it with good quality arrangements
> of worthwhile material. IMVHO "Instant Concert" has never fallen into this
> category.

I agree that the groan list probably started as a bit of fun. I am
concerned
about what is "worthwhile" material. What may be worthwhile to one
person could
well be a candidate for the groan list to another.

Regards

Richard Luckhurst