RE: Black Dyke in Canada

A few years ago I went to hear the Vienna Philharmonic in Toronto
and the tickets cost $75 for the cheapest seats. They played a Mozart Flute
concerto and Bruckner Symphony #4. An musician friend of mine at that
concert figured we got our money's worth by the end of the introduction
to the first movement of the flute concerto. He was correct.
90 seconds of their Mozart was worth the money.
They are an orchestra that most others are compared to.
Similarly the Black Dyke Mills is an ensemble others are compared to.
I suspect people who attend the BDM concert will have their money's worth
by the end of the first item. When Desford was in Canada with Watson
conducting I finally heard a REAL brass band.
It was a revelation. You just cannot hear a world class brass band in North
America.
They do not exist. The commitment is not there.
The Young Ambassadors Band of Great Britain, who tour here, are a put
together
ensemble that sight read through a 3 week tour and THEY blow the doors off
the Intrada Band and every other non professional band in North America that
I have heard.
The Intrada band uses a TRUMPET in place of Eb Cornet!
Let's get serious. If you consider the cost of transportation and lodging
alone
this is a bargain. Normally if a person in North America wants to hear such
a band
a trip to the Uk is the only answer.
The tickets are cheaper than a trip to the UK by far.

we are not talking about a concert that happens here regularly we are
talking about a concert that is an exception. In the last 15 years
only one visit by a Championship level band. This is the second.
It is worth more than the entire season of a local band by far.
My brass quintet spends $50 for lunch.

Graham Young
(905)5758440
(905)332-6353 fax