RE: New Soprano Cornet

Our band has a Yamahahahaha. Hard and brittle sounding.I play a Kanstul
which I prefer
to the Schilke by far. The Schilke is better than the B&H, all of which
should be melted down for something useful such as 2nd baritones.
The best I have ever played was a Smith-Watkins. Outstanding and
far better than  a Schilke or a Kanstul but pricey.
Had I known about them I would have bought one
instead of my Kanstul. I had the use of a Schilke when
my Kanstul was having a special mouthpiece fitted and I have
not missed it at all. In fact was happy to return it to
the owner. Stuffy compared to the Schilke. High register backs up.
The main benefit of the Schilke is it's
small compact sound. It helps to keep a good
soprano player from blowing away the solo cornets. Lets you
overplay without overpowering. I know it is the most popular.
That made it the best of a bad lot, adequate but not a great instrument.
Soprano is very tricky to get correct.
Imagine how good the top soprano players
would sound with a great instrument rather than merely an adequate one.

Graham Young
(905)5758440
(905)332-6353 fax
gyoung@xxxxxxxx