Re: Narnia

I haven't played this yet either, although I'm in the process of
learning the score. I think that after last year's choice of Main
Street (a piece that IMHO was ridiculously difficult for 3rd section
bands - I know my band struggled enormously with it and I suspect
many others did too) the organisers have played safe and chosen a
piece that should be well within the capabilities of all bands in the
section.
I'm looking forward to trying it - although individual parts may not
be quite as exciting as they could be, I think the overall effect
will be good. There as some rather beautiful and haunting melodies,
particularly in the 1st and 3rd movts that will challenge the bands
ability in ensemble playing, and the conductor's ability to balance
the band!!
It appears to me to be a piece of real music rather than something
that could be taken straight out of a technical exercise book.
Hwever, as I have said I haven't yet *heard* it, although I'm pretty
convinced that I know what it should sound like ;-)
Good luck
Dave

> I'd love to hear opinions of 'Narnia Suite' for the Third Section, which is
> IMHO the most
> >criminal choice of a test piece in years - I can't find anything in it at
> >all to justify its selection, other than the composer being a nice
> >high-profile mainstream name.  There's no substance to the piece at all -
> >it
> >makes no memorable thematic statement and doesn't develop or progress
> >anywhere, it's incredibly badly scored and most of the band might as well
> >not bother turning up because there's nothing at all to test or interest
> >them.  Not a single member of the band had ANY positive comment to make
> >about the piece after we played it through last week, and I thought the
> >basses and troms were going to quit!
>
> We haven't actually played it yet, but I've loooked at my part, and yes, as
> a trombone player, I think boredom will strike!
> >
> at an average of 45 quid a time - not
> As a treasurer, I just about died when I worte a cheque for nearly 70 -
> which is what Narnia cost us!  How can they justify this?
>
> Julie
> (Soon to be bored Trombone player and skint treasurer!)
>

> --

David Roberts
Musical Director, Pangbourne and District Silver Band
http://maxpages.com/droberts/Pangbourne_and_District_Silver
"Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder"