Re: Pedals:'Where it matters

Dave:

In a message dated 10/26/99 1:25:11 PM, mavnw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Then why is it not an octave and a fifth higher? How does it come to lose

It is...

>another semitone? And why doesn't it work the same way on other instruments,

The extra semitone is lost due to the half-wave (or three halfwaves)
not "seeing" the bell flare as being part of the length the air column
is resonating on.

>such as (in my experience) Euphonium and Trombone?

It does for me (usually?), but for me these notes aren't real consistent.
Some days they flow right out, others, no way at all.  Mouthpiece and
emborchure (most players I know use something strange - all upper
or all lower lip for double pedals) can also figure in with the resistance
of the instrument as to how things respond...  The realtively low
resistance of the troumbone is why it feels so different I believe.

John Fisher