Re: Dopings

There have ben a number of posts over the years on other lists about this and, if
memory serves me right, an article in the International trombone Journal giving
dosages and protocol for use. Thus there can be no doubt that among professionals,
the usage is high. The nunmbers quoted are, again from memory, around 25% of
orchestra players and as high as 60/70% for auditions. The difference in stress is
that if you cack in the orchestra you get fired. In the brass band you just lose the
competition.

Certainly the rush from a high pressure gig can be great but maybe if you face the
same tension 3 or 4 times a week, you look for some kind of solution. And if you
have set your life's goal on getting in a top orchestra and there are 200
auditioning then you also begin to look for any edge you can get.

Dave Buckley