Rose Tinted Groans

I wasn't going to give my twopennorth again, but having been reminded of
"Memory" (no pun intended...), I thought "what the hell" and here I am.

We regularly pull out the singalongs (1 and 2), communityland, black and
white etc which are a bore and a drag and everything else, but there was
a time in my dim and distant youth that our solo euphonium player,
Harold Heal, sang along to them.  It was brilliant as he had a voice not
unlike Harry Secombe and could easily sing over the band.  His favourite
was Jolson Memories - we had to restrain him once from blacking up - and
my personal favourite was Sunshine of your Smile.  Fantastic - used to
make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck.  I remember he also
did the Desert Song once - hysterical, with accompanying sand dance
movements.  My best memory of him was during one of the b&w's... "If you
were the only girl in the world, and I was the only boy... la la la la
la I've forgotten the words, la la la la la la la la can anyone help?
De de dum dum dum dum da da de dah, oh yes" etc....  The front row were
literally wetting themselves as we were the only ones in the band to
hear his words properly (we got umpteen bars rest in these type of
pieces, only coming in on the link passages).

Sadly, though, as he got older his voice lost its clarity and volume and
he had to resort to a microphone, which limited his performances as most
of our jobs didn't have one, and eventually, due to his age he stopped
all together.  He sadly doesn't even play now.  Ah, them were the days.

Now we have to endure the  singalongs the same as everyone else!

Pam