Re: Benge Co.

In a message dated 10/27/99 1:12:37 PM, kirsty.mcc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>I have had an enquiry with regard to a Benge flugel. The person concerned

Benge is owned by U.M.I. which makes it's Conn,  King and Benge brasswinds
in the Eastlake, Ohio facility which was once the King factory.  Benge also
produced instruments in Chicago and then in California before being bought
out by King Musical Instruments.  I've run across some Benge sites on the
Web - suggest you fire your favorite search engine.  I've heard a recent
rumor that U.M.I. has got into a legal thing with the Benge family and the
rumor is they are no longer making the Benge line - not confirmed.

>owns one would like some information on it such as bore sizes, mouthpiece

The '97 & '98 Price lists I have don't show any Benge Flugelhorns still in
production and I don't have a '96 list, but in 1995 they listed a 3FL-SP
model in silver plate and a 3FL in lacquer with a .46" bore (11.68 mm)
bore, a 6" (152mm) bell, a 3rd slide water key & B7944 professional
case.  List prices in US$ were $1460 and $1350, respectively.  As for
mouthpiece, that is entirely a personal issue, but I would probably
start by trying the Wick models (personal bias).

Good luck,
John Fisher, 2nd bari, CVBB.