F Ford's Favourites, was Groan List,fund raiser

Hi David,

I think the idea originally came from Clacton Band, and was called German
night, beer keller oompah music etc. It developed into a dance night and we
have our own bar and arrange with the local take away for chicken & chips at
about 9.30 to 10.00 pm. We usually do it on new years eve but because of the
millenium celebrations we decided to have it on Dec 4th this year. We charge
12 pound each, no concessions, no children. tables set up with, usually 6,
8, 10 or more seats and about 150 to 200 people. Starts at 7.30 or 8.00 pm.
We have dance band pads with about 120 pieces and most of the dance items in
the groan list, and play all the sing a long dance pieces, waltzs modern and
old tyme, the Valetta, foxtrots, rock and roll, YMCA, Kaiser Bill, quick
steps, rhumbas, ABBA, lots of Siebert, Bernaerts, Glen Miller, and anything
else that you can dance, jump up and down too, or sing along with.

We aim to raise anything from 800 to 1200 pounds on the night. We have a
raffle and a couple of 'roll a pound for a bottle of whisky'. I think all
the band either walk or get taxis home!!!!

It is so different from the usual disco that young and old(er) have a great
time and usually come every time with their friends, we don't do a lot of
advertising and tickets in general are at a premium as some people buy a
table for 10 in one go. Set the hall up like a night club, use the caterers
white table cloth paper in rolls (like wall paper) wine bottles with candles
and plastic pots with crisps and other nibbles on each table, party hats,
squeakers etc. Net with ballons over the dance floor, and as many guest
players to help out as you can get.

Now Florrie Ford was a leading Music Hall Artiste in the early part of this
century and the Boosey and Hawkes Journal ( I think) called Florrie Ford's
Favourites was a simple arrangement of some of her audiences favourite
songs, Down at the Old Bull and Bush, It's a Long Way to Tipperary, Good
Byee, She's a Lassie from Lancashire, etc.

It sounds as if the set Andy played from may have met its end in the fire at
the Cory bandroom, but sods law states that if anything was saved it was
probably that rather than any irreplaceable manuscript pieces!!! So if
anyone does have a set could we borrow it please????

If David Williams reads this far and is ever in Cambridge or South West
Suffolk, he is welcome to come and try my 4 valve Getzen Flugel.

Cheers

Grandad