3rd and 4th section test pieces & commissions.

Go away all higher section players, this is for us lower section people!

Can the list name some good 3rd and 4th section test pieces that are good
musically, not too difficult and are effective for contests?  Most pieces
that are "set" fall into 3 categories:

1) Some new piece which lacks originality.
2) Some old piece written in 1940 which is now very dated.
3) Some higher section piece selected without really thinking about it.

The sort of piece I mean is that thing on Waltzing Matilda by Goff Richards
(can't remember the name), Dimensions by Peter Graham, Shipbuilders and the
new piece by for the 4th section this year, Haslemere Suite.

There must be a glut of new works out there, what with lottery money and
everything, which are for lower section bands which will never get played by
other bands because they will be deemed too easy for a top section band's
CD, and will only be heard by interested musical directors on the off chance
they are played at a contest/concert.  It would seem Peter Graham got lucky
with his composition.

I have wrote a canny little piece for 4th/Junior band as a lottery
commission and would love it to be played by other bands, so I have an
'active' interest in this subject.

An idea I have is for a top section band to record a cross section of these
new 'easier compositions and release them as a new music CD.

Any suggestions or comments?

Colin Harris
Eb Bass
Backworth Colliery Band
http://www.backworth.org.uk
See "A Day in the Life of Backworth Colliery Band" at
http://www.backworth.org.uk/life.htm