RE: 3rd and 4th section test pieces & commissions.

Colin, and all interested list members,

We (Ever Ready Band) commissioned (and subsequently recorded) a piece
entitled Prince Bishops by Rodney Newton. Although it is a little long
(16mins) perhaps a shade on the difficult side (especially the 2nd movement)
and needs 4 percussionists in places, I believe that with consultation with
the composer and a little bit of common sense it would make an excellent
test piece for the lower sections.
As I have previously mentioned, the piece has been recorded by ourselves
(see our website ww.btinternet.com/~er.band for details) and CD's can be
purchased by e-mailing me direct, or from Doyen. I can also put interested
parties in touch with Rodney Newton who I'm sure would be delighted to hear
his compositions performed on a more regular basis.
Having been involved in this piece at a personal level, I think it will
challenge Bands at any grade, and I certainly enjoyed rehearsing it for its
premiere performance and our recording of it.

Les Palmer
Soprano Cornet & Band Manager
Ever Ready Band