RE: 3rd and 4th section test pieces & commissions.

Hi Colin,

I may be old and cynical but I think you will find that the contest pieces
are always published by the larger publishers. These are usually the only
pieces they make any money on. So you will be very lucky to get your piece
chosen if you are publishing it yourself. The catch 22 is that if you offer
it to one of the bigger publishers they probably won't want it and if it is
an arrangement of a piece they hold the copyright on you will probably be
tied to them anyway and they may just hold on to it. That is why, with the
advent of music publishing programmes and quality photocopiers, so many
people are doing their own publishing.

The publisher who we all moan about - Bernaerts - does what you suggest and
gets a good band to make cds of their latest music and uses this to sell
into the lower sections.

Volume sales and high prices make money and you don't get that from brass
bands. Look at the price of wind band sets, in UK around 60 - 80 pounds and
not that many more parts, it would be interesting to hear what other
countries pay for both Brass band and wind band sets?

Cheers

Grandad