3rd & 4th Section test Pieces & Commissions

Over the last two years the East Anglian Brass Band Association has
commissioned ten new brass band test pieces and an eleventh is due out in
December. These were for our Spring Festivals 1998 and 1999.Having acquired
the funding from the National Lottery through the Arts Council of England
and some private organisiations, it will be a great shame if these pieces
are never played again. The list is as follows:-
Flintknappers-Stuart Johnson-Junior Youth-unpublished.Used also for the
South Australian Brass Band Championships.Lovely starter for young bands.
East Anglian Watercolours-W.Relton-Youth-Kirklees-a very tuneful and
interesting piece.
Hereward, the Wake-W.Relton-Youth/4th-Kirklees
Iceni Autumn-Darrol Barry-unpublished-2nd/3rd Section
Paintings-D.Broadbent-Wright & Round-2nd Section-A lovely number and
deserves to be taken up by other contest promoters. Good concert number too.
Spire at Cowholm-Ray Steadman-Allen-1st Section-Unpublished-This is a really
beautiful work and deserves to be played. GUS played it in Norwich Cathedral
(which it is all about) in June. It would be a great shame if this one never
sees the light of day again.
St. Andrew's Variations-Alan Fernie-Kirklees-Junior Youth-A lovely number
for young bands.
Anglian Dances-Alan Fernie-Kirklees-Youth
A Dunwich Sinfonnietta-Dr Roy Newsome-to be published next year-4th Section
Angles-Ken Downie-unpublished-1st Section-Quite difficult but deserves to be
played.A very interesting work which is a set of variations on the hymn tune
'King's Lynn'

Derek Broadbent is writing Constable Country for us ready for our Spring
Festival 2000. It is aimed at 1st Section standard. We are looking forward
to it.