Inappropriate music: was Brass Band Groan List.

-----Original Message-----
From: David Williams <JDW@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 04 November 1999 21:41
Subject: Re: Brass Band Groan List.

>The worst use of music I have ever heard was at a Civic Sunday Mayor,s
>Parade  many years' ago when all the town councillors headed by the Mayor
in
>his robes, chain of office, and mace bearer started off on this very
serious
>(to them) occasion.   As they marched off to the parish church the bass
>drummer gave the signal and the band struck up with "LILY THE PINK" which
>they repeated all along the route.  I shall never forget the angry
>expressions on the faces of the civic dignitaries .

A case came to my attention a while ago of a band who made the innocent
mistake of playing the theme tune from 'Dad's Army' on a Remembrance Day
Parade (for non-UK list members, Dad's Army was a very popular TV comedy
programme about the trials and tribulations of the well-meaning but rather
amateurish Home Guard during the 2nd World War).  I am given to understand
that some former professional soldiers rather take exception to being
associated with the HG in this way.  Something to consider, perhaps, as
November 11th is almost upon us.

Lest we forget,

Alec