Re: Pedals:'Where it matters

On Sun, 24 Oct 1999 at 17:44:11 +0100, Pete Denton wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Oct 1999, Dave Taylor wrote:
> > On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, Pete Denton wrote:

> It's a long time since I studied physics, but I'd be inclined to
> disagree with you there.  The 'false' pedals are much stronger and of
> totally different physical and aural characteristics than a slightly
> bent fundamental (1st harmonic).  I am sure it has to be something to
> do with 'hearing' a pitch because of the commonality of the harmonics
> of that pitch and the harmonics being excited which are native to the
> length of tube being used.  If it was simply a matter of bending a
> fundamental, why does it suddenly become stronger and more sustainable
> at a pitch near enough half way between fundamental (1st harmonic) and
> 1st overtone (2nd harmonic)?

These 5th-down notes (approx) I've seen referred to as "preferred
tones" (or is it "privileged"?), and don't pretend to understand why
they're "preferred". But the instrument isn't resonating much at those
pitches - hence the notes are very bendable and not all that wonderful
in tone.

It may even be that all we're hearing are harmonics of the presumed
pitch.  It's well-known that the ear/brain will synthesise a bass note
from harmonics: an effect relied upon by organ builders ("Acoustic Bass
32ft", made up of 16ft pipe plus an exact 8 2/3ft one) and cheap-tranny
designers alike (I don't suppose the average small radio speaker
produces much below middle C - 260Hz - in fact).

Neither Britannica nor the Internet produced anything sensible on
"preferred tones" or "privileged tones". I remember the TV lecture: the
lecturer played the same note on a trombone while moving from 1st to 6th
position. Hmm..

Ian