RE: Russel Gray, and NABBA West (USA)

I concur that Russel Gray played extremely well and his performance of Share
My Yoke was stunning.  Credit should also be given to the accompanying band
Salt River (Phoenix) who played one of the most sensitive accompaniments
I've ever heard.

Whilst I'm writing, I'd like to congratulate all bands appearing at the
recent Las Vegas NABBA festival for the way they performed and also for the
great spirit they showed during the two day event.

It was a pleasure for me to meet Major Tom Palmatier and Dr. Colin Holman.
Both have a great deal to offer the BB movement in the USA.  Great credit
should also be given to the organizers Ralph Hotz (Salt River) and Pete
Cooper (Las Vegas band) and  - they did a great job.  Ed Carroll was also
very helpful and put in a great deal of background work before and during
the event.  Apolpogies to anyone I might have missed.

The Vegas festival, for me, was my first outing in the BB movement in the
USA having moved from England to Utah in April 1998.  The BB spirit in the
USA is fantastic and the movement, under NABBA, appears to be moving forward
in an extremely positive manner.  I thoroughly enjoyed my adjudication (you
don't hear that often!), clinic and massed band duties but most of all, I
enjoyed meeting the people and experiencing the great spirit the bands
showed during the festival.  A fantastic weekend.

All bands in the western USA, I encourage you to support future events.

Happy Days

Alan Boyer
Utah Premiere Brass

>Alan Boyer, our suprise guest soloist, Russel Gray who dazzled us
>with his interpretation of the Harry James Concerto. Special thanks

I know what you mean there.  Cuyahoga Valley Brass Band just
featured Russell in a concert earlier today and it was quite a gas.
He also did the Harry James with us and I also loved his Napoli,
Jubilance and all the rest, but the best for me was his Willow
Echoes.  Actually his Morning Mood was to die for also.  We had
a rehearsal with him last Friday and he had been in Columbus
before that with BBC (Hey BBC, where's your report?) and left us
to head for Detroit for some time with MCBB and then he will
be off to the Windy City for some time with IBB.   Anyone who
has an opportunity to hear him should take advantage and I'm
certain no-one will be disappointed.

Regards,

John Fisher