Is "blowing" good for you ?

Hi Guy. I agree with your recent comments about drugs..and note you were a
pre-medical student.  It seems so quiet lately on this list do you think
some bandpersons hibernate at this time of year or have taken too many of
the afore-mentioned pills ?  But to be serious (for once) may I ask folk's
opinions on the effects of " blowing."  Some ten years ago I started having
a serious chest problem....asthma...etc....which even caused me to give up
my work.   I have taken anti-biotics, huge doses of steroids, and have got
through many types of inhalers.   Then a couple of years ago I found my
son's old trumpet in the attic and attempted to get a note from it.   After
25 years I even remembered the fingering of some scales...and have now
finished up with a cornet and flugel.   At first blowing would give me some
pain in the lung after a few minutes, but my doctor said it would do no
harm.    After a couple of years' practice I now find I can play for over an
hour with no trouble at all; I have'nt taken any antibiotics since the
beginning of last year, have cut down use of ventalin, etc.....and have,nt
been to the doctor since April, 1998.   I am not claiming that "blowing" has
cured me, but is it not possible that regular use of the lungs has improved
breathing.?  I can also now walk miles each day.   It seems millions of
children in the U.K. have become asthmatic in recent years and each day have
to take inhalers to school with them.   It would be interesting to know if
others have any views on the above.   Incidentally, I know many players who
have lived well into their 80.s.   An old sop. player who played all his
life with championships bands lives near me and he is NINETY.  !  Cheers and
regards to all.   David Williams.