RE: Kew Band visit to Japan

The ISB  also visited Japan a few years ago and I can assure of a warm
welcome and massive interest in the brass band medium. Wind bands are
actually more popular at present, but a number of high-quality brass
concert-type bands (one of whom featured a few years ago in a post-contest
concert at the RAH) are pushing the boundaries. The SA has a staff band in
Tokyo, and their conductor and many players will travel the length of the
country to hear a traditional-style band. Our principal cornet player, David
Daws, did a masterclass for the japanese trumpet association when we were
there, and we played several concerts in Tokyo, including one to 3000 people
including the Emperor's brother, which attracted massive publicity for the
SA. They are very particular about choice of music, sticking to the
programme, and no talking...they have paid to hear music, not babble. Good
luck...
Andrew Justice
ISB/Enfield