Re: UK National Contest

David wrote:
> I had heard on the
>grapevine that several regional committees had decided to disband
>following the area contests next spring, but most now seem to be
>adopting a wait-and-see attitude.

I hadn't heard that one

>The contract to run the Nationals has now been offered to the BFBB
>(Federation) who have formed a sub-committee to examine the
>possibility of them running it, but I understand that in principle
>they have accepted it.

That snippet wasn't included in the BB report!

>Thanks for starting this one off Andy.  Where are you on this one?

Personally, I think the Regional events (based on own area experience) are
fine, well run contests. They have suffered to a degree from having to use
rules that have caused problems but those rules are, of course, the property
of the current owners of the contest.

In reality, if the regions continue as they are, the qualifying bands could
go into any National contest, be thay the B&H owned one as at present or a
new one owned elsewhere. The latter would give us an opportunity to start
from scratch on the rules and regulations governing the whole event.

At the end of the day, B&H own the title - they don't own the current
qualification process and they don't own the bands!

IMHO, you don;'t have to be a national organisation to own and run this
contest. There are many bands who don't enter it anyway.
The BFBB , as a National Organisation, has yet to prove to me that it is
capable of being a force to be reckoned with. Managing a registry that I
personally don't believe we need isn't evidence, neither is representing
bands at European level (affects but a few!). Publication of a directory
that's out of date isn't a good indication and failing to rerspond to
letters from bands (my old band wrote to them with no response) doesn't bode
well.

In a nutshell, I'd like to see the following :

1) Total revision of the rules
2) Regional Qualifying contest to remain in the ownership of the regional
committees as at presnt.
3) A National Contest that is owned by the movement (but may be sponsored
commercially).
4) Qualification for that contest to be from the Regional Contests as at
present
5) Management of the Finals event, if not to be the NCC, to be outsourced to
an experienced, commercially aware promoter such as Philip Biggs. I do not
believe the BFBB have such experience.

Andy