Re: Twilight Zone

Nigel Stobbs wrote:

> Someone told me recently that Kiwi bands (and even some in the UK) have the
> back row cornets sitting over with the Eupos and Baritones - i.e. on the
> other side of the stage to the front row cornets.  Is this right?

No, it certainly isn't the norm in NZ. Jeez, I can't stand people who generalise
:)

You do, however, find the odd (mainly lower grade) band doing it, and I would
suspect that the reasons for it are:
1. Seating them opposite the solo cornets generally will encourage the younger
inexperienced players to learn to play louder. (They are forced to, just so they
can hear themselves.)
2. It increases the audibility of the 2nd & 3rd cornets (who, again, are
probably younger players) by taking away the row that prevents their sound from
getting out.
3. They are positioned right in front of the conductor, so they are less likely
to indulge in the horseplay that they try to get away with over on the back row.

Cheers,
Adrian