Re: 2001 TOUR suggestions etc...

One thing that sprung to mind was whether your village, town or area is
twinned with any other village/town or area .... it may be that's why you've
been to Belgium twice already - because you've already made that link.  But
it just seems that if there is a 'diplomatic' link between you and another
place, it gives you a whole host of ways to get people on that side to help
with concert promotion, accommodation etc, and there's a chance you may also
be able to get your council to offer a grant or subsidy or something towards
the trip, as a gesture of 'good foreign relations'.

My band is off to Holland in May, and just like you, we want to minimise the
travelling expenses for the players.  We're raising the money by putting on
a special concert or two, specifically for the trip.

One other very successful money spinner (with profits, I believe in the
region of 1,500 a
time!) is to run a Beer Night.  It takes a lot of organisation, (and my band
has got the benefit of experience as
they have been doing these for about 15 years, and now know what works and
what doesn't).  But the main aim is to generate a party
atmosphere, with the band providing the music in the background and for
dancing (needing lots of toe-tapping 'groan list' type pieces .... but it
gets everyone up dancing!).

To raise additional funds (other than just the
ticket sales ...... and we sold out for this Christmas's beer night in the
middle of August!!!), there are also spot raffles, a grand draw and Irish
Bingo.  Everyone has a great time, their given a nice meal (this year was a
pig roast), have loads to drink (another area the band makes a profit), and
leave looking forward to the next one.  It's a hard slog for those
organising it, and the band have to play for a long time (with the exception
of 'pee and pint' breaks!!) - but the end result financially, speaks for
itself!

Hope this offers some food for thought.

CLAIR TOMALIN
Clacton-On-Sea Co-Operative Band (mainly)
Wussbrass 2000 (Annually .... yes it's still happening!!! Visit the website
at www.justselect.co.uk/wussbrass2000 for more information)
A N Other Band (whenever anyone needs a dep on flugel!!)

Email: c.roberts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx or clair@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx