Newer Instruments.

I am just getting back to playing a brass instrument after having a rest
for over forty years.
At the moment I have an American Euphonium which is a pain because of
it's forward bell and front valves.
I have trouble seeing the conductor!
A brass band friend says I should look around for a newer instrument
when I am ready to replace my instrument.
He says the newer instruments are so much better than the ones I
remember years ago.
I would appreciate comments.
Oh yes. the American Euphonium looks like a cross between a bulldog and
a wheel barrow!
It's got a 12" bell and a large bore.
I would call it a baritone but it's bigger than any of the baritones in
our band so it has to be another sort of beast.
Cheers
BillW