re.watchdog & new member

I've just started to subscribe to this list- it is great. I play cornet with
Haverhill Silver Band, Suffolk.

Although it wasn't on a Besson instrument, I had this trouble with a new
trumpet I purchased some years ago. (2 or 3) After I had owned it for a
couple of weeks, the black spots started to appear on the tuning slide.The
laquer on most instruments' I have seen seems to have these sort of marks
after a couple of years (I realise these certain instruments are new). The
only way I feel you can totally avoid it is to get a silver- plated
instrument, (my Besson silver- plated cornet is fine) but then as others
have said this may look bad in the band.

James Garlick.