Re: re.watchdog & new member

I had a new Sovereign Euph Silver plate that got the marks within one
year.  3 years later I then got a new Courtois Euph (laquer) which now
has similar marks within one year.

My son's trombone has gone back to the manufacturers because all the
laquer is falling off the slide.  Its been gone a month and the
importers have kindly lent him a branny because its taking so long.

Even my daughter's Maestro Cornet is looking a little the worse for
wear finish-wise after three years (but not as bad as the european
makes above it must be said).

Can you buy any new instrument that doesnt do this?  Sad comment on
today's manufacturing standards/quality control I think - I once had
an Imperial Euph that was over 40 years old that didnt have any such
marks.  It did have tuning slide inserts made of brass (euph was
silver) because it was originally "high pitch" and there were no marks
around the joins either.  And it had been kicked to death, but still
played beautifully (shame I dont <g>)

Steve Larwood, Euph, Melbourne Town band
http://www.mtb-brassband.com