Instrument gripes

Re the instrument gripes.  Besson have got a new MD (Last year). The lacquer
baths (or cleaning dips, I forget which) had apparantley not been changed
for years prior to this, instead of every 3 months! My brand new BBb Bass
wouldn't play in tune with itself, as well as the usual mouthpiece at
forehead height problems etc. I tried 8 basses at Booseys before picking
this one. I would say 2 were virtually unplayable, the rest average. The
instrument was generally flat (A=437!), and 1st and 2nd valves were flat,
but both together, sharp, even on their reference tuner!After a strong
letter of complaint to John Rogers (european sales Manager at the time) I
went to see Paul Lance at Booseys, their development technician(?) He
replaced and moved my mouthpipe, altered the tuning slide and first valve
slide and then relacquered the instrument. Good service, especially from
Paul, but the problems shouldn't be there in the first place! I also possess
one of the first Sovereign BBb Basses (20 years old, Concert model, low
mouthpipe etc.) This projects better, plays in tune better and is more
agile. Where's the progress in that? This is all aside to the dreadful
lacquer problems! Even one of their own employees says that you get two
finishes, silver or leopards skin!

Andy Cattanach, Tuba Freckleton Band ( ex Britannia etc.)