Re: Early trumpets.

On Fri, 19 Nov 1999, Bill Walker wrote:

> I was watching a program of baroque music being played on period
> instruments tonight and I noticed a trumpet which didn't have valves but
> the player appeared to be covering holes with his fingers.
> Did that trumpet work on the same principal as the Serpent or Saxaphone?
>
> What was it's range and limitations?
> It sounded fine to me and apart from having 8 or 9 feet of tubing seemed
> relatively easy to hold.

	Hi, Bill.  I was watching that program, too.  See the Web page at
http://ananke.advanced.org/3588/Renaissance/Town/Music/Trumpets.html for a
bit more information on what I think is the instrument we saw on the
program.

Gene H. Chan					       genechan@xxxxxxxxx
Burnaby, BC, Canada				       gene.chan@xxxxxxxxx
Summer Pops Youth Orchestra			http://www.vcn.bc.ca/spyo/