Re: Brass in Concert results

Although I will admit to a personal interest in this one, it doesn't seem
fair that the 60 marks for entertainment can have such a big influence
compared to the 200 marks for music. This has arisen because the music
adjudicators have (as per normal) only separated bands by 1 or 2 points,
while the entertainment judges have separated bands by much more.  Given that
awarding of points is subjective, in my view all that the music and
entertainment judges should be asked to do is rank the bands in order. The
rankings should have then be combined, wieghting the music ranking by 200/260
and the entertainment ranking by 60/260 in this case. That would have given
the results as:-

Fodens, Grimethorpe, Whitburn, Leyland, Ransome, Cory, Sellers, GUS, CWS,
Besses, Ever Ready, Rothwell.

While I think I have a point to make, feel free to treat this as a
complicated way of crying the traditional ' we wus robbed guv' if you like.

Colin McHardy
Timpani, Whitburn

ps. As Gordon Simpson is a good friend of Colin Archibald, can he let us know
whether the overall result or the music result will be used for ranking
purposes?

pps. It was good to put faces to the names of various list members in the
Bar, even if the faces were a bit blurred! (well we did draw number 2!)