Re: Brass in Concert results

-----Original Message-----
From: jeremy wise <jeremy.wise@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 23 November 1999 21:14
Subject: Re: Brass in Concert results

>In my opinion, and I am sure that others will disagree, entertainment
>contests should be first and foremost about good playing and good music.
>Presentation and deportment are important but, lets face it, arseing around
>on stage shouldn't win contests.

That's the problem, isn't it?  The result of any brass band contest is
determined entirely by opinion.  You may think, Jeremy, that 'arseing around
on stage' shouldn't win contests, but unfortunately for you, there is no
actual  *rule* which says that this should be the case.  In fact, there are
absolutely no rules at all to govern how an adjudicator should arrive at his
or her decision.  For me, as an absolute sceptic on the subject, this quite
ludicrous situation encapsulates perfectly the utter futility of brass band
contests.  I can think of no other sport where the
adjudicator/referee/umpire (or whatever term you wish to use for the
presiding official) is so hopelessly handicapped.

It is the responsibility of those who champion brass band contests as an
important and relevant facet of the medium to explain why such an
unsatisfactory state of affairs should continue, or to come up with an
alternative.  I shan't be holding my breath!

Best wishes

Alec